Giza pyramid in Egypt, Stonehenge in England are very mysterious constructions but Kailasanatha Mandiram has more mysteries than these constructions.
A wonderful construction which Indian history has never seen till now. We don’t know who built this, why it was built and how it was built. No one knows when it was built, the construction itself is a mystery. Along with that, there is one more mystery which is beyond our imagination. That is the underground city under this temple which many believe.
What significance does this temple have that other temples in the world don’t?
Ellora caves are located at 50kms far from the Aurangabad in Maharashtra. There are a total of 34 caves. Among those the cave number 16 is Kailasanatha Mandiram.
About it’s construction :
The date of construction is no where mentioned in the history or books. Even the names of the people who constructed it were no where in the temple but we can clearly find that the temple was built with the most advanced technology. In fact this temple was not constructed as how constructions used to be, as no one carried stones, cement or any other construction material for this temple. A big rock has been dug and designed as a temple. This is one of the very few monolithic(single stone) temples in the entire world. That means this whole temple is a single stone. Except this stone nothing is added to this temple while construction.
Single stone means you might think this is a small temple. Bu, this is 100 feet high, 109 feet wide and 164 feet length which is in a rectangular shape. When archaeology department tested this, they found that almost 4 lakh ton weight rock has been dug to sculpt this temple. According to some proofs, they have concluded that this temple was built in 18 years. Four lakh ton stone is been dug in 18 years . If we properly calculate it, 6 tons of stone has been dug per an hour. Even with the present technology that is very hard to do.
There is a doubt that this temple might have been built in 7th century but many of them believe that this temple was present since thousands of years. After testing this temple they found it was built in a cutting Monolithic method. This is the only temple in the world which was built by this method. To construct a temple this way, it means they have to sculpt it from the front side of temple. But this temple has been sculpted from top to bottom.
The main question is about why they sculpt it from top to bottom instead from front side?
In the earlier days where we think that there was no technology, no one knows how they have constructed this temple with such a perfection. Because, to build this temple with such a perfection a complete blue print with 100 percent is required. Only the most skilled artists and engineers could build it. This is a symbol of 100 percent perfection without any small fault or any mistake.
The temple structure was so strong that, when Aurangzeb occupied Maharashtra in 17–18th century A.D and ordered his soldiers to destroy it. Around thousand people tried for 3 years to destroy it but they have damaged only 5 percentage of this temple. Aurangzeb understood that it is impossible to destroy this temple and left it. By this you can imagine, if it took this much effort to destroy just 5 percentage, how much effort was put to build this temple!
One stone with 100 feet height with 3 floors as if elephants lifting this temple on their shoulders just amazes me.
- The four lakh ton stone which was dug is no where found around 100kms of the surrounding of this temple. So what about the stone wastage?
- There are many 2 feet size tunnels found around this temple that are dug towards earth into which only a kid can only fit. Most of the tunnels are now closed by Indian government from last 40 years. The actual use of this tunnels is a mystery.
- In this temple, there are few holes on the surface with size of a finger span which are very deep into the earth. And after some 40 feet these holes are having a left and right turn. No one knows where they lead to.
- There are temples related to Jain, Buddha and Lord Shiva. All these Gods sculptures have one common point on the walls that is picture of gods, humans and some dwarf humans in snake kind forms.
- From these small tunnels, holes and dwarf like sculptures on walls few scientists and archaeologists think there is a underground city where dwarf like humans lived. Who used these holes as ventilation shafts, for water lineage and light and tunnels for movement. This underground city concept is not new to us as Derinkuyu underground city in Turkey is a proved example which had the capacity to hold 20,000 people .With schools, shops, churches, animal shelters etc found in the underground city. This Derinkuyu too had holes similar to the temple. Below are pictures of Derinkuyu,
Some interesting answer is on the air around this temple region to why this temple has been built from top to bottom instead from the front?
When the king of this region is sick and about to die, his wife prayed to Lord Shiva, if my husband gets healed I will construct a temple which no one in the history heard till. And I will fast till I see the Gopura(dome) of the temple. As wished, her husband was recovered. Immediately she called the famous architects and engineers in her kingdom and ordered them to build the temple for her. And told she would be fasting until she see’s the Gopura. As it takes long period to built a temple of such grandeur and by that she may lead to death, one person from that kingdom suggested, “If they start digging from the top of hill, within a week, the temple Gopura could be finished. Then you can break the fasting ”. By this reason, they feel that this temple has been built from top to bottom.
Hope, researches in future bring more information about these. Nevertheless, this temple is a amazing piece of architecture, culture and devotion.
Foot notes :, , and Vikram Aditya Youtube channel.