After the death of Pandavas this happened:
- Pariksit (grandson of Arjuna) was crowned as a king of Hastinapura. The land of Indraprastha was given to Krishna’s great grandson (Vajra), their was no vrishaketu (son of karna).
- Pariksit dies and then Janamejaya is crowned king, he has alot of brothers too, so the problem of the lack of heirs to the throne is not a problem anymore because Arjuna had alot of descendants.
- The remaining wives of Krishna (the ones that did not end their own lives) retired to forests and spent the rest of their lives as ascetics, wandering around and praying to Hari (another form of their husband Vishnu), they created a abode for themselves named Kalpa. No one knows what happened to them, it was never written down.
Krishna has more than 16 thousand wives, the 16 thousand described in the last chapter are the ones he rescued from Naraka not the 8 main queens (Rukmini, Satyabhama):
16,000 women had been married to Vasudeva as his wives. When the time came, O Janamejaya, they, plunged into the Sarasvati. Casting off their (human) bodies there, they re-ascended to Heaven. Transformed into Apsaras, they approached the presence of Vasudeva.
After the war:
- Gandhari blames Karna and Sakuni for the crimes of her sons and their deaths, but also blames Krishna and curses him.
- Yudhishthir wants to give up the kingdom and live in the forest, Arjuna teaches Yudhishthira about artha.
- Bhima insults Dhritarashtra and Gandhari several times infront of his friends but in the absence of his brothers.
- Dhritarashtra, Gandhari both recieve alot of respect love and care from Yudhishthira, Bhima, Nakula, Arjuna, Sahadeva, Yuyutsu, Vidura and Sanjaya only in the presence of Yudhishthira, but whenever Yudhishthir and the rest of them aren’t their then bhima takes the oppportunity to insult him.
- Sahadeva wants to stay back in the forest and serve Kunti and Gandhari, Dhritarashtra etc. But Kunti tells him to leave. Each of them are burned to death in the forest after Dhritarashtra’s fasting is over, Sanjaya abandoned them and fled to the Himalayas.
- Pandavas one by one fall off to death in the mountains on their journey to heaven, they are accompanied by Dharma in the form of a dog. Yudhishthira tells his opinion on why each of the pandavas and Draupadi fell to their death.
- Yudhishthir reaches heaven, finds Bhisma, Drona, Kauravas with Duryodhana their, Dhritarashtra in the kingdom of kubera as a Gandharva. He sees hell in which their is Karna, Bhima, Arjuna, Droupadi, Nakula, Sahadeva, Dhrishtadyumna, Upapandavas etc. He says he would rather live in hell with good people than in heaven with bad people.
- Dharma tells Yudhishthir this was another test, the ultimate one that he has passed now, that Arjuna and Karna everyone etc spent adequate time in hell but then went to heaven, he sees Draupadi as the incarnation of Sree Lakshmi, Arjuna with krishna, Karna in Suryalok, Bhima as a maruta, Ghatotkatcha as a Yaksha. Kansa (the uncle of Krishna) was a Deva, and Pradyumna merged into Sanatkumara.